Friday, April 01, 2005

Eastenders and benefit rip-offs

I was watching Eastenders last week and I was quite annoyed at one of the storylines...

Stacey Slater reported the Miller family for making false benefit claims... the Miller family were shown as ending up in real financial difficulty and the storyline was slanted such that the family was portrayed as being helpless and deserving of sympathy and that they had the sympathy of other residents of the square.

Lets look at this... Keith Miller the father of the family was falsly claiming incapacity benefit, not working and sitting at home idle. When this was stopped the family ended up in financial difficulty. Making a false claim is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. Its a crime. Its some one not wanting to work but wanting to benefit from others efforts.

The BBC should not portray this family as victims as in real life the real victims would be you and I... honest tax payers who slave away everyday to pay for ourselves, our families, our country and those genuinely in need. While I know that this is a fictional storyline, in reality this goes on too much for my liking.

The character of Stacey Slater while evil and while doing things for the wrong reason actually did the right thing.

I would like to add that I don't think there is anything wrong in claiming benefits, after all they are there for a reason to hekp those in need. There are also a lot of people out there whose claims are genuine. My gripe is with those people who make false claims. As well as "stealing" they give those who are genuinely claiming bad press. I also don't like it when they are portrayed as victims to elicit sympathy.

If I knew of anyone making false claims I would report them and I would hope that you would too.

No comments: